Sunday, November 6, 2011

Orphan Sunday

Today is Orphan Sunday.  Churches all over the nation are bringing awareness to God's heart for the orphans and calling the church to respond to their needs.

Not too long ago I watched my son struggle as he was taking off his shirt. He’s 8 years old…had I forgotten to teach him how to take off a shirt?!

I asked him if he needed help and he said, “No, I can do it mommy.”

I assured him, “I can show you an easier way to do that.”

Tommy said, “No mommy. Daddy does it this way. I want to do it like Daddy.”

Now I personally prefer to easily grab the bottom of the shirt in the front and pull it over the head. Tommy and his daddy do this weird thing where they reach behind their heads to grab the back of the shirt and then pull it forward…it’s painful to watch! The reason daddy takes his shirt off the hard way is not the point…I'm sure it can be traced back in the McKinley family tree :) 

My point is:

Tommy’s resolve to do things just like his daddy is no different than what our own souls crave as God's children.  As God’s adopted children we are drawn to adoption and caring for the orphans of this world because we are determined to "do things like our Daddy." Our heavenly Daddy defends, adopts, recues, finds and loves the orphans so we do it too…we do it because we want to look more like our Daddy.  We want to do things just like our Daddy and give Him all the glory!


No comments:

Post a Comment