My flesh is prone to self-indulgence…to choose comfort over
Christ. I don’t like it too hot. I don’t like it too cold. Lukewarm feels good, at least for a moment,
until I hear the voice of my Creator calling.
He grabs hold of my hand, pulls me out of the worldly trap, lifts my eyes
towards Himself, and tells me to seek His face, seek His kingdom. In His eyes I see the cross with my Savior bleeding
for my redemption. Who is the One who
loves me so unconditionally? So sacrificially in this way? The mystery of it all intrigues my soul…I’m starved
to know Him deeper. I open up my bible
to that treasure I found a few years ago in Jeremiah 22:16. I remember even blogging about it before but
I’m so quick to forget so I re-read it slow, tracing my finger over the words I
have underlined in black ink…they touch my heart once more almost like I’d never
read them before. Can it be this simple
and true?
“He took up the case of the poor and needy, then it went
well.”
That sentence alone would have been enough but God doesn’t
stop there. The next part fills me with
joy tears….
“Is this not what it means to know Me?” This is the Lord’s declaration.
Every fiber of my being craves to know God more and right
there in Jeremiah 22, plain and simple, God tells us defending the poor and
needy is exactly what it means to know Him. In that very instant God’s Spirit confirms His call for my family to press on serving Pastor
Nahum and his orphans, the very thing that is my heart's passion. Oh how I love God!
![]() |
| my li'l man, Edwins...bizou bizou |
Back to Life
Ministries is not the solution to the world’s poverty crisis but, motivated by the gospel, it is one
small avenue for the church who is seeking to know God more to take up the case
of the poor and needy.
God is faithful…if we apply our hands and hearts to serve the
poor and needy we will see beautiful satisfying glimpses of His redemption…the
hungry will be fed, the naked will be clothed, the homeless will be sheltered, orphans will be adopted,
the oppressed will be set free, and the chains of injustice will be broken. Yet still, as fulfilling and wonderful as all of this is, there is something far better and that something is to personally and intimately know God. Knowing God is the
ultimate prize. I love
how God calls us to the broken and lowly and in those places reveals Himself to
us.
On my way home from the store today I let His words run through my head. “To take up the case of the
needy and poor…Is this not what it means to know Me?” I answered out loud like He was sitting in
the passenger seat next to me. Yes. Yes, Lord.
Taking up the case of the poor and needy is exactly what it means to
know You. I believe it and I want to
know You more.
Our team of 11 took up the case of the poor and needy while we hosted the 2nd annual BTLM VBS last week. It was a amazing!! Jeremiah 22:16 looks a little like this:
| crafts for every child |
| songs |
| and games |
![]() |
| lots of hugs and kisses to go around |
![]() |
| Psalm 143:8 was memorized now hidden in their hearts: "Teach me the way to go; for to You I lift up my soul." |
![]() |
| food was prepared |
| a whole lot of food |
| every child went home with a full tummy |
“He took up the case of the poor and needy, then it went well. Is this not what it means to know Me?” This is the Lord’s declaration. Jeremiah 22:16






No comments:
Post a Comment