Monday, August 13, 2012

Dangerous Little Prayer



“God, give me more of Your love for the poor.” 

This is a dangerous little prayer.  I didn’t know when I first started praying this prayer how it would completely turn my life upside down.  I didn’t realize the after-effects of a tiny prayer like this could have such a massive impact.  

God answered and I could hardly believe it at first.  

There I was, in the flesh filled with this new and unfamiliar pulse beating untamed in my chest.  All of the sudden my desire to give this love away felt urgent.  In that moment I realized how deep and passionate God's love is for the poor and it wasn’t something I could sit back contemplating possibilities of one day doing something with.  His rich love for the poor was an emergency call for me to walk like Jesus did and to do it NOW!  

This love, so full of hope, confesses that Jesus is the Son of God and declares His sacrifice on the cross for the redemption of our lives.  It’s a sacrificial love reminding me how Jesus laid down His life for me and in this same way I should lay down my life for my brothers and sisters in need.  

The heart I have for Haiti today points back to that one day when I prayed, “God, give me more and more of Your love for the poor.  Amen.”

I had no idea what I was asking for but God still answered.  

His love is without strings, reckless and unrestrained…

I’ve since seen the poor up close, heard their stories, held their babies, cried and prayed with them and here’s what I’ve discovered:  Past all of the physical stuff, which will eventually all burn up anyway, I’m no different than them.  Loving them is not easy but it's my greatest blessing and joy...it's God's plan for my life.

There in the depths of poverty you will glimpse an occasional happy day when laughter erupts but often the days are awfully hard and tears fall.  You end up with a blend of pain and joy coexisting and in all of it our faithful God is very near and at work...transforming our hearts and creating in us holiness.  This is where I want to be...near God's heart, near the poor who continually teach me how to thank God even when everything is dark and all you can feel is hurt.  They show me a faith that doesn’t waver.  No matter how broken their circumstances, praises for our holy God never leave their lips and I love them even more for it. 

I can’t stop praying this little powerful life changing prayer. 

God, give me more and more of Your love for the poor.

Yes.  I want more.  

Ashamed for slipping, grateful for His grace, I whisper out loud asking God to do whatever it takes to keep my heart with the poor.  I don’t want to gain the whole world only to lose my soul.  Those clouds are going to break wide open one Day.  Jesus is coming back.  He'll separate the sheep from the goats.  My Hero will rescue me and transform everything ugly into something beautiful.  

Espwa mwen nan Jezi.  M'ap tann Li.    
My hope is in Jesus.  I'm waiting for Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment