Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas For The Forgotten

Just back from Haiti with a heart nearly busting at the seams, eager to grab my laptop and write it all out—to share both the beauty and desperation I found as I followed Jesus even deeper still beneath the layers of those living in Pastor Nahum’s 3rd world village.  But these stories aren't the kind you just write out between unpacking, folding laundry, wrapping Christmas gifts, and changing diapers all while my 5 child-loves are asking me how many more days til Christmas a guh-zillion times day.  To say my kids are just a tad juiced up on Christmas spirit would be a gross understatement and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I love to see their eyes sparkle with wonder and anticipation—Jesus’ birthday is a big deal over here.  All that said to say...it’s going to take a little time but the stories from my last Haiti trip will be shared…eventually :)

For today, I’d like to ask if you would do a little “Christmas shopping” for the 200 children who attend Pastor Nahum’s school.  Every year Pastor Nahum tries to have a Christmas party for these kids.  We were sitting outside his home in Haiti and I could feel the heaviness in his heart as he spoke, “You look at my children, my orphans…they don’t have much but since they have sponsor families supporting them through Back to Life Ministries this has been such a blessing because they receive gifts at Christmas time now.  But still I have more children...my children in my village who come to my school...and I know it’s not the same for them.”

He looked at me.  Our eyes locked and I saw the compassion.  It was fierce.  His eyes turned back to the dirt ground our chairs were sitting on and he continued in a whisper, “these kids...they won’t get anything for Christmas if I don't do something.”

Pastor Nahum usually buys lots of small toys, prepares a meal, and invites these kids to a Christmas party every year if he has the provisions to do so.  His heart is aching to host this Christmas party for the kids this year on December 28th but to do this he needs about $400.  December is especially a hard time of the year following the expenses of their 2 week long revival and so I’m writing to see if maybe you might be willing and able to chip in and be a Christmas blessing for these kids.  This Christmas party will be the only Christmas celebration they have.

Together we can make this Christmas party a reality for these village kids.  Go here:  http://back-to-life-ministries.blogspot.com/p/donate.html and scroll down just a tad and you will see General Donation.  When you make a general donation of any amount and it will go directly towards providing the blessing of a Christmas party for Pastor Nahum’s children and your donation will be eligible for a tax deduction just in time for the end of the year!  Put this at the top of your Christmas shopping list and let’s share the love of Jesus to the least of these in a real way!! 

Merry Christmas and God bless you all!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment