Monday, January 21, 2013

It's All Real

3 of Pastor Nahum's orphans:  Cheche, Wilkens, and Mack Joseph


To be part of their lives feels scandalous and I’m torn.  Oh God, help me!  The disparity—it kills.  Do they know how after sharing life together over the last few years, where I've fully exposed my heart and in turn they did the same for me—how there are days when none of it seems real to me?  I think I’m a make believe character who was created to journey to a fictional place.  Strangely, my name is still Rochelle and everything in my life I believed to be real is still there.  But it is real?  Is Haiti real?  

It’s been 3 years since I first felt the wild heart passion of God to care for the orphans, poor, and needy.  I made the choice to do whatever He wanted me to do but I never could have prepared myself for what that would mean.  There at that crossroads, when Jesus told me to love them and I did it, God began doing a new thing in my life and it was as if a door to everything I used to be was closed behind me.  Part of me wishes to go back—that I’d never left my old life.  Because on the other side of the door, where God is doing the “new thing”, the road is much more narrow, often lonely, and everywhere I look there’s an awful lot of suffering.  And just as sure as you’re reading this, it’s all very real.  Repeatedly I’m faced with the choice to sacrifice my own abundance or keep it all to myself and, if I’m transparently honest, I’d admit sometimes I’d rather just keep it all to myself and skip the whole sacrifice part.  I figure I can go ahead and tell you the ugly truth since God already knows it to be true—how I don’t always make the sacrifice.  Sometimes I feel like I've already sacrificed enough on this Jesus journey and it’d be nice if I could call a timeout or get someone else to sub for me.  As if my life journey with Jesus is some sort of game where timeouts and subs are allowed, I look to the sidelines and I'm tripping.  Put me on the bench.  I need a breather and want to sit out a quarter or two.  

But I know in my heart that’s not the right choice.  


I can remember the Maker speaking to my soul in a Whisper and you wouldn't believe how I like it when that Voice stirs down deep, beckoning me to take the next step, to persevere on this mysterious faith journey.  I love my Jesus, my Comfort, my Peace, my Strength and my Joy.    

I was created for this. 


At the sound of His Whisper my heart beats faster.  Somewhere inside is a girl whose goal is to search with every last breath to find the Face of the Voice that matches this Whisper.  Somewhere inside is a girl who loves like Jesus and tries to understand what people living in extreme poverty, people like Pastor Nahum and those in his village, might be feeling.  She is the girl who embraces the struggles of the broken with a fighting hope.  I swear she exists and she hurts deeply for the heaping number of suffering children and their families she sees everywhere in Mirebalais, Haiti.  


The poverty is severe and from what I've seen, it defines the lives of every single living person in this small forgotten village.  And when I’m standing there staring it all in the face and I know this is the place where my twin daughters were once destined to live—that’s when I feel crazy.  I’m somewhere between doubt and fear.  Something inside of me collapses—it’s then, at that moment—that’s when I wish none of it were real.  My flesh screams for me to run and pretend I never saw or heard how there’s a whole village of children living in overwhelming suffering.  

But I can't do that.  

Their pain...it’s tattooed on my heart now.  And their voices...they cry out like a song on repeat.  Over and over, I hear them even when I'm here....even with the Atlantic Ocean separating us.  

They need help.  

I don’t have much but I can tell the world their stories…I can be their voice.  Yes.  To be their voice—that’s what I hear the Whisper calling me to do.  My Jesus created me for such a time as this.  Everything overwhelming starts to fade because I've seen what small acts of love motivated by the Maker can do—how ordinary plain people like you and me can choose to give this love and how it miraculously transforms the lives of the unlovely and lonely—the same way it did for my baby girls...the same way it does for me when I'm broken and desperate.  

To be sure, a little dose of love empowers the smallest and weakest of all creatures to do great things.  Here’s what I like to think:  I like to think, motivated by absolutely nothing other than God’s love, the church will be driven to stand up and reach out to the poor and forgotten.  The result will be stunning!  God’s brilliant glory shining in the form of hope and joy will beam from the faces of children pulled up from the dark pits of brokenness, poverty, and oppression.  I suppose it’s my hope that the church will be the church and that gives me strength on this journey…it's what keeps me from bolting when the glaring needs of multitudes of people in Pastor Nahum’s village weigh heavy.  I believe the church will respond to our Haitian sisters and brothers once they hear their stories.  I really believe this.  

So, when I feel like escaping is the only clear and proper rational thing to do, I beg God to keep my feet planted with the least of these.  I ask Him to give me more of His untamed love, to keep me close to the poor, and to help me speak up once more for the voiceless—to do it over and over, again and again, even when I don’t feel like it. 


Jesus, I know You are there.  Forever, until the day I take my last breath, I want to seek Your face.  You are my goal.  I need You, Jesus.  Keep my soul believing in Your love and believing in it for Pastor Nahum’s whole big suffering village of people.  I know You've intricately woven this village of people so tightly into my life for a purpose and I believe Your love has the power to change their lives and bring You glory.  Jesus, will You pour out Your blessings of love and mercy on this place?  I wait for You.  Amen


1 comment: