Maybe the things I will share today will seem redundant. Maybe I am beginning to sound like a broken record. But I can’t stop speaking on behalf of the least of these. Driven with a Jesus love, I’m not content to say, “I’ve done my part…I’ve told people there are desperate needs…it’s time for someone else to speak now.”
If I were selling Girl Scout cookies, then yes…my efforts would be complete and I’d probably have earned enough badges to fill up my sash.
That season would be over.
But, but I’m not selling Girl Scout cookies and the season of oppression for so many poverty stricken people around the world has not ended. I cannot shut my ears to the cry of the poor. I cannot close my eyes to what I have seen. Because I have heard and seen, I’m compelled to give what I can and then I ask God for more that I may continually be a filter of His blessings to the least of these.
“God, Please continue to send us that we might always have a fresh view of what breaks Your heart. We continue to give all that we can, but we can see they still lack so much more. If you give us more we will faithfully pour it out to the least of these you have placed in our path. We are asking for more that You will be glorified as we turn around and give everything You give to us to the least of these out of love and in the name of Jesus. Amen.”
So I go. I give. And I pray that I can go again and give more. But my spirit becomes agitated if I stop there.
To stop there feels like I’m keeping a big fat juicy secret that was never intended to be kept a secret.
I’ve decided Proverbs 31:8-9 deserves way more attention than simply being transferred into decorative words written in fancy calligraphy on a plaque that adds Christian flare to the walls of our homes.
“Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the cause of the poor and needy.”
These words have an immeasurable impact on behalf of the least of these when the Church responds with Jesus love to actually speak up for them…supernatural things happen when we put these words into action and choose to be the voice of the needy. God makes things happen on behalf of those who cannot speak up for themselves through our voices.
I wake up every morning with a deep sense that something is horribly wrong. The fact that there are real people all over the world who have no food, no clean water, and no shelter to sleep in is appalling to me. But it’s nearly unthinkable to know that many of these people are our very own brothers and sisters in Christ and the Church is not responding to them. They are just left to suffer in the poverty stricken environment they were born into. They are suffering terribly. Suffering in ways we can’t wrap our minds around. Suffering as they watch death claim their children from things like preventable diseases, hunger, and dehydration.
So when I wake up every morning I personally find myself defensive on behalf of some very specific orphans and people I know in Haiti. If you’ve been following my blogs, then you know who I’m talking about. You’ve been introduced to Pastor Nahum and his family and his orphans. You’ve met some of the people who live at Nahum’s Village and attend his church. You've been given a taste of how purely precious these people are. Maybe you've even fallen in love with them yourself.
God is always shocking me. The Jesus love I asked God to give me for the least of these has been made known to me in ways and to depths I never anticipated possible and certainly never expected.
Each time I read Proverbs 31:8-9 it comes alive like a fresh concept that demands my daily obedience.
Defending the cause of the poor and needy completely clicks with my spirit. Speaking up for those who cannot speak for themselves provides an avenue for me to release the overflow of Jesus love I have for them. However, I realize there are only so many words in my word bank and no matter how innovative my passion feels, I’m certain my fingers have typed these exact same sentiments many times before. I wonder at times if I sound like an obnoxious song on repeat...I don’t know...I hope not.
Maybe it’s kind of like when you tell your spouse you love them. At the beginning of your marriage you say, “I love you.” The marriage relationship goes deeper and then again you say, “I love you.” The marriage relationship progresses and you continue to say, “I love you.”
The words are always the same, but we all know there is a total different, much more profound, way more powerful meaning to the word ‘love’ as the marriage grows.
My hope is as I repeatedly speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves that the meaning of these same words will reflect God’s love in a more profound, intense, and powerful way. I pray that we will be more united in His love to give, go, pray, and become a voice of power for the silent cries of our sisters and brothers in Haiti and all over the world.
Somehow Jesus' words in Matthew 25:31-46 creates an even deeper purpose for me to take Proverbs 31:8-9 serious...I'm pretty sure Jesus is not just suggesting that we feed, clothe, and shelter the least of these and when he says, "What ever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me," it makes me long for all of us to partake in the sweet intimate fellowship Jesus wants us to have with Him through loving the least of these.
If Jesus has given you a love for the least of these at Nahum's Village and you want to help be their voice, you can respond now. Your prayers and donations are coveted by these brothers and sisters of ours in Haiti.
We are currently raising funds to complete the construction of an orphan home which for the orphans at Nahum's Village will be life altering. They will move out of their tents and live in their very first home...a real home with walls and a roof to protect them from the upcoming rainy season.
Enjoy fellowship with Jesus as you give to these kids and serve as their voice.
May God bless you all with His grace, love, and peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment