Thursday, January 19, 2012

I Remember...

I remember my life before I was able to show you where Haiti was on the map and before the orphans held any value in my heart and before I traded things I could see for things unseen.  I remember when I prayed mostly for my own comfort and pleasure and when love didn’t involve sacrifice.    

Raised in church, bible study attendee, Christian book store shopper…all of those things defined me yet somehow I was completely missing the purpose of the Gospel in my life.  I was claiming I could see but really I was blind. 

But that all changed when the catastrophic 7.0 magnitude earthquake shook the already shattered 3rd world county of Haiti on January 12, 2010.  Somehow the epicenter of this earthquake that blasted Port-au-Prince also brought devastation to my own soul.  I was spiritually trapped in Haiti’s rubble as I watched images of death and desperation on the news…my life would never again be the same. 

I found Haiti on the map that day.

Under that rubble God showed me a deeper glimpse of His heart for the orphans.  I heard God clearly calling me to stare long and hard into the faces of the needy and poor.  Now, if you are a believer and you take the time to actually do this, then I’m convinced there is only one outcome.  You will respond to them.  You will defend them.  You will be compelled to a life of caring for the helpless orphans out of the overflow of your love for God.  It's not possible to love God and ignore the orphans.  It’s what I believe.  Because I love God I love the orphans.  
  
Broken in the rubble 2 years ago was terrifying at first but in that brokenness I got to know God better.  He showed me a world outside of the bubble I had insulated myself in and it was the beginning of an extremely intimate love relationship that keeps me running back to the feet of Jesus. 

When my former life beings to feel familiar again I panic and seek even harder after God’s heart because I remember how comfortable my deceived flesh was walking in blindness and I never want to go back to that place again. 

Jesus calls his church to a sacrificial love and it's strangely satisfying.  Yes, it has a cost and you won’t have anything to show for it in this world but you will be stock piling eternal treasures.  And, if we are willing to be broken on behalf of someone else God will give us a front row seat to the story of the Gospel of Jesus lived out here and now…the hungry are fed, the oppressed find freedom, the sick are healed, and the orphaned are placed in families…right there up close, in your face...all for the glory of our holy God! 

You can have a front row seat to God’s expanding Kingdom when you support and pray for the children at Back to Life.  The orphans at Back to Life orphanage need the church.  Their lives are unimaginably difficult.  They didn't choose to be born into poverty and left orphaned.   They need you and me to sacrifice on their behalf.

“He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" declares the LORD.”  Jeremiah 22:16

No comments:

Post a Comment