Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"I am a blessed man"


Somehow when we laugh, play, and sing with them we can altogether escape their suffering and forget the heaviness of their crushing poverty...at least momentarily. 

God’s presence is there, rich and thick, far more than I’m worthy to dare glance at yet I find myself skipping through the heart of it.   It’s truly a holy work what God has going on among Pastor Nahum and the plight of his orphans in Haiti.  None of which is possible for me to share in without the love of my life supporting me wholeheartedly and holding down the fort at the McKinley home while I'm away.  With every fiber of my being I love you Trey and praise God for the rock you are in my life!  

Let's talk a second about what happens when Rochelle goes to Haiti.  All of Pastor Nahum’s children and orphans play longer and go to bed later.  Did you know you can have an awful lot of fun with a few cans of silly string and water?  We all play innocent when wake up the following morning.  Our good morning greetings instantly turn to giggles as we recall the playful events from the night before.  You see it’s not just fun and games.  

I can see it.  

That shimmering joy beaming from their little brown faces.  

Joy seems even more wonderful when it bursts through the dark places.  It just seems to shine brighter.     

Do I keep going back to live fully among the orphans for those few short days God gives me in Haiti?  Was I created to extend this love of Jesus pulsing through my veins knowing full well it brings joy to their faces?  Was this the way God might want me to bless? 

I don’t have all the answers but I do know the small band of orphans in this little forgotten village is an opportunity I should always take.  It’s a God-given opportunity to let the fullness of His grace flow through me and my family.  There is a distinct whisper in this calling that tells me it’s from God.  I say yes.  My family says yes.  

Yes!  

Fully exposed, waiting in wonder, we say yes…curious as to how the grace will fall and who will be touched by this joy next.

I've learned even with the best intentions you can’t permanently wipe away their gut-wrenching pain with laughter, play, and singing…those things serve only as a temporary escape.  Eventually the laughing, playing, and singing ends and their reality stares you down with no mercy.

While everyone is busy about their chores I find myself with some down time sitting with Pastor Nahum listening to him tell about his life in Haiti.  It makes my heart jolt...I've never heard the human condition painted with so much tragedy from such kind and graceful lips.  I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help myself.  I look into the soft dark eyes and brave smile of Pastor Nahum.  His words pierce with conviction as he praises God for how blessed he is while I can clearly see he is drowning in suffering so aggressive it’s enough to suffocate. 

I can't take anymore.  I lose it.

In a furry of tears I forget the rules of using my best Sunday school answers and reserving my emotions.  There I was real and raw choking out words like “it’s not fair” and “I don’t want this life for you and your orphans”. 

I hold my face in my hands after saying these things.  It’s quiet for a long moment before he speaks. 
In that lifeless place, Pastor Nahum’s faith remains alive.  His life acts out the love of Christ...he is a river of hope to his orphans and the needy people in his village. 

I glance upward when I hear his voice.  Our eyes connect again and he reminds me of something I know is true but still too difficult for me to fully understand.  He acknowledges the reality of their crushing poverty and inhumane living conditions but assures me his blessings are not found in worldly things. 

While trying to ignore the heat I’m intrigued at the mystery of his words.  They bring peace.  He pauses.  Then with sincere joy and in a slow steady tone he says, “Oh, yes!  I am a blessed man.  God has blessed me.”

Knowing Pastor Nahum helps me understand Paul more clearly when he says he has “learned the secret of being content in any and every situation.”  Pastor Nahum is living proof in our day that this secret can be learned.  I want to learn it.  The people in Haiti we serve through BTLM are helping me learn this.  I walk away from every moment I have with them knowing they blessed me more than I could ever bless them. 

The blessings BTLM were able to extend to the orphans were multiplied because of the presence of Andrea Wright, Kimberlie Davis, and Katie Bonne joining me on this trip.  I want to thank each of you for your willingness to go and bless!!  Going was no small thing…you have extended God’ s love and made a huge difference in the lives of those very precious orphans!!

Here are a few pics from our trip…please continue to pray for Pastor Nahum, his orphans, and all of our sisters and brothers in Haiti.

went back to visit baby Rose...she's a beautiful miracle!


Rebeka and the team visiting Ketlie and Mama Tiserge

some of the orphans sleeping

Me and Cheche

some of the girls from Back to Life Kids School playing under a tiny shade tree after school

Some of the students and teachers at Back to Life Kids School

Kimberlie and Pastor Thimothee leading the computer skills training class.  Thanks again New Heart Community Church for blessing BTLM with 7 new laptops and a projector!!  

Me and Sterling drinking fresh coconut water :)

Me helping Madanm Kenel cook okra (Kalalou)

serving food to all the kids

EATING!! :)

Snack time 

playing

Mama, Abraham, Me and Cliff

Taking pics back to Raphaella and Wana's dad and brothers

Me and Andrea with Pican (Raphaella and Wana's uncle)

Me and Abraham...He really loves me now because I shared my Sprite with him :)

Goody bags for all the orphans!!

Clief, Pastor Nahum, Me

orphans sporting their silly glasses

No comments:

Post a Comment