Saturday, May 5, 2012

Why didn't we just feed them?


“He’s sick.  You saw him when you were here.  He’s sick.” 

Hearing it roll off Pastor Nahum’s lips had a piercing effect stripping away that little coping mechanism called denial that I fall back on sometimes when I’m sure the truth will leave me in the fetal position. 

As much as I hated it, I knew he was right.  Despite staring it in the face somehow I found a way to convince myself it wasn’t’ true.  

I didn't want it to be true.  He’s only 13.  He loves playing soccer.  His eyes are soft.  He smiles when I come near to talk to him and hold his hand.  He’s Raphaella and Wana’s oldest brother.  His name is Lenel.  I see a spitting image of him every day in Wana's face doing things like putting Lego blocks in our dog's water dish, dancing on our coffee table, and running wild through our home...   
We love you, Lenel  
When denial is all in check the painful truth is exposed...he’s hungry. 

He’s sick because he’s hungry along with nearly all the other 200 children who attend Pastor Nahum school. 

I cry at the sky because no matter which way we cut it or how many smiling pictures we take of them, behind the smiles are hungry children who are going to die if we don’t respond. 

Thinking about the possibility of having to find the words to explain to my children that their brother and his friends died of starvation one day is enough to suffocate my soul.  Will my kids not look through all the excuses and in their innocence ask that simple question, “Why didn’t we just feed them?” 

The whole tragedy becomes more possible than hypothetical the longer we wait for others to respond instead of acting ourselves.  

It's not too late.  WE CAN FEED THEM!   

Bread For a Hungry World is matching every dollar we give but we have to act now.  We still need $2595…We can’t do this alone but by God’s grace your little added to the little of others will rescue these kids.  As soon as the remaining $2595 is raised we can ship the container of 270,000 nutrient packed meals to Pastor Nahum and he can start feeding Lenel and the rest of his school children.  By the way, this is enough food for all 200 children to have a meal every single day for nearly 4 years!!  Give now.  It's easy.  Find payment options are on the right sidebar of this blog.

We still need $2595

God we are desperate for Your hand to move in this.  Provide.  Rescue these kids.  Show them Your love.  Hear our prayers.  We wait for You and trust You.  In the name of Jesus, Amen.    

No comments:

Post a Comment