Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Story Isn't Over


Who has eyes to see or ears to hear the needs of forgotten children…children like those in Pator Nahum’s village?  Who has the time?  These are children who never chose an orphan life.  They didn’t choose to live in absolute poverty.   No one chooses a life of suffering like this.  They were born into it.  My flesh screams out NOT FAIR!  When I first stopped to stare through the dark eyes of these children I saw more pain and heartache than most adults will ever have in all their lives.  All my eyes could seem to do was fixate on the huge array of darkness and disappointment defining the lives of these children.  Their little brown faces would blur through my welled up tears.  Overwhelmed with a mixture of fear and sadness I'd shut my eyes tight and pray when I opened them again the picture before me would be less heartbreaking…I couldn’t bear to see this kind of despair up so close, so real and raw.  My soul was becoming disoriented…breathing was harder.  I’ve seen the small fragile souls of so many children, all of them hungry, broken, suffering…so desperate and vulnerable.  It caused something to stir deep down.  Their broken lives all began to look and feel strangely familiar because past the smiling pictures of a life perfectly put together on facebook is my own soul crying out.  It was an invitation to open my eyes wider...to see my own reflection in these helpless starving children, dirty and broken.  There I found myself no different than a hurting child waiting for rescue.  How could I turn away leaving them forgotten?  At the core of my soul I’ve been changed by the Gospel…it penetrates through my brokenness and brings me hope and I know it's sufficient to do the same for these children.  So while my flesh cries no fair the Spirit reminds me in a whisper, "Your holy Father is in this.  He is sovereign.  The story isn’t over."    

I can’t see the whole picture but I believe what I’ve read in my bible.  My shining hero, Jesus, will come back to make all things new.  I know He will!  I choose to trust and while I’m waiting I choose to love these desperate and needy children sacrificially because that’s exactly how Jesus loves me in all of my brokenness.  When the love of Jesus flows from our hands and feet the faces of desperate children begin to radiate…I’ve seen it over and over.  It’s like looking at the glory of God, the face of Jesus flashes before my eyes.  That slightest flicker of hope glistens and compels me to love them even harder.  The story isn't over.  Jesus is coming back.  Read John 14:18.  He promised us.  "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."

In 8 days I leave with a team of 10 others to host VBS for 200 children in Mirebalais.  We will also be taking gift sacks for Pastor Nahum’s children and orphans from their sponsor families.  The kids already know a family has chosen them…that a family is specifically praying for them and has taken them into their hearts as their very own family.  I am beyond thrilled and humbled for this opportunity to introduce the very kids I cherish with all the Jesus love in me to their new sponsorship families via letters, pictures, and gift packs they have prepared for them.  We also have several members of the BTLM sponsorship family who are actually going on our VBS trip and will meet their child face to face.  I’ve got a feeling there’s going to be lots of happy tears :) Pray that the Holy Spirit will make the Gospel shine brightly through us.  The story isn't over!

A pic from our 2011 BTLM VBS last July

No comments:

Post a Comment