| Ismael, you are forever mine. I love you!! |
Every morning I gather my 5 child loves and we
pray out loud together. They close their
eyes, I close mine, and one by one they talk to Jesus. It’s true that since the day God brought our Raphaella
and Wana home nearly a year ago my kids don’t say a single prayer without first
praising God for this miracle He did. Oh
this untamed love for their new sisters—where does it come from? Without doubt it’s from the Father above.
And I wish the prayers of a child were only prayers
of praise but almost always after the praises, from the lips of my own
children, come the pleas. My children
are praying to Jesus—asking Him to take away the cancer from their grandmother—asking
Him not to let the poverty kill any more children in Haiti. I try to breathe. These things are hard. I flounder through in this temporary life, searching
desperately to make sense of even a little of it, still I just can’t. Things like cancer and poverty break the
world to pieces and I have no words. No
answers for me or my children. But there’s
a mysterious twist of peace and comfort that clothes a child of the most High
God who has learned to trust Him in the unknown.
Can I tell you once more about the children in
Pastor Nahum’s village?
| Mack, Woodma, Cheche, Wilkens, Boubou, & Jephte |
I've held their
faces in my hands, looked deep in their eyes, and felt the rhythm of their little
beating hearts. Real and beautiful, each
of them were created by the Father, in His image, for a special purpose in His
kingdom. Their whole lives are before
them but something is not right. They
are sick, every one of them, infected with gross poverty. Some are orphaned, some abandoned, and all of
them are helpless. I want to pull them in
close. Only there’s too many of
them. Oh, if I could hold them long
enough, rocking them in my arms until it didn't hurt anymore, until all the
pain was gone. I would do it. All of this stirs me—turns me into a total lunatic. I've learned its’ not possible to remove
something my Maker buries deep in my soul.
Haiti is stuck in my heart. So I
stuff my feelings into words hoping someone is reading—hoping someone will hear and
respond to these poverty infected children.
But my typed words are limited. You’d
have to see my face because only the eyes can fully express the way I love
these kids. I hear my Maker whisper, “The
love you feel for these children comes from Me.
I have chosen you to be a voice for them. Don’t give up. Fight for them.”
I can’t think of a more beautiful honor or privilege
to have than being called by God to love the children in Pastor Nahum’s village
and be their voice. The prayers of my own
children from this morning flash in my mind again. At first I was lost in the brokenness but
then I heard it once more new, “Please Jesus, don’t let the poverty kill any
more of the Haitian children in Raphaella and Wana’s village. Amen.”
Did you hear it—the faith of a 1st world child praying for a
3rd world child? I have to
sit here and soak it all in. Rich or poor, we are all the same. We are all in need of the saving grace of Jesus. We are all valuable in His eyes.
From my heart, I repeat my child's prayer, "Please, Jesus, don't let the poverty kill any more of the Haitian children."
Here’s what I know...God wants to use us. We are His church called by Him to respond to
the least of these.
And the good news is this: The redemptive love of Jesus has the power to
wipe out poverty and rescue lost souls. I
believe it.
It’s His perfect love within us that fights the
battle against poverty, brings relief to the broken, and saves the lost. The
cure for the lost and the poor comes through the hearts and hands of the church.
Here's the question: Once the church sees the needy and hears them
crying out, will we respond with wild urgency?
Jesus, help us be the church.
No comments:
Post a Comment