Thursday, May 5, 2011

NO MORE TENTS!!

The Haitian people live difficult lives but every year, May is the beginning of a particularly troublesome season for them.  In May, the rainy season is triggered.  This is when the tropical rains let loose to pound Haiti full force.  These torrential downpours are intense and for the huge Haitian population living in tents…it’s disastrous…completely unthinkable. 

There is a small band of orphans at Pastor Nahum’s…the very children I have a personal love and affection for.  Sadly, the combination of these tropical rainy seasons + tents have defined their lives.  That is until yesterday.  On May 4, 2011 something changed. 

It was March 4, 2011 at 3:51 pm.  My phone beeped with the distinct beep that tells me someone just sent me a message on my instant yahoo messenger.  I only have two people I message on my yahoo messenger; my husband and Pastor Nahum.  I pushed the top button on my phone to light up the screen and saw it was Pastor Nahum.  So many times I long to speak on the phone to hear his voice, but messenger has its benefits too.  For instance, I can go back and read word for word what he said and for occasions like this I can share his words with you too. 

So I was standing up while leaning against my kitchen counter as I read Pastor Nahum’s words:  “Kotew pitit mwen” (English= where are you daughter?).   

I know Pastor Nahum well enough that as I read what he said next it was as if I was face to face with him.  In my mind I could see delight in his facial expressions and hear the softer tone in his voice.  I knew he was pausing between each sentence he spoke with reflection to allow time to offer up praise and thanks to God.  (Kathryn, I think you are the only one who can fully appreciate and envision exactly what I’m talking about here.)

In this way, Pastor Nahum continued:  “I’m sitting inside the children’s home….The roof is finished….I put some screens on the windows…We are so happy to have these two more rooms…My thanks to the team of supporters of this project.”

I can’t really describe how I was feeling in this moment.  I had been eagerly anticipating this day.  I immediately lost sight of where I was standing in my kitchen…my physical world faded as the spirit of pure joy welled up in my soul.  In that moment, it didn’t matter that the entire Atlantic Ocean was separating us.  We both knew we were in the same exact place in spirit…at the feet of Jesus, praising Him for His unfailing love to care for Pastor Nahum’s orphans in such an unexpected way that there was no question it was God!  Joy in the Lord…It’s not like the happy emotion you get when your grocery store has your favorite ice cream on sale.  It’s way more than that.  This kind of joy is from the Spirit and leaves you overflowing with praises to God.  Watching God respond to the cries of the weak…it’s amazingly awesome!!  Last night Pastor Nahum’s orphans had a safe place to sleep, a shelter to retreat to when the torrential rains pour.  NO MORE TENTS!!  PRAISE GOD!!     

About one hour later my distinct yahoo messenger notification sounded again.  And, once again, it was Pastor Nahum still overflowing with the sweet spirit of joy:   

Pastor Nahum:  “We are so happy.  Me and Mama are sitting in one of the new children’s rooms.  My heart is full of joy.  Amen (which by the way doesn’t sound like the English way of saying amen…it’s more like this, Ahh-men, with an with an emphasis on the “men”…and he likely lifted a hand in the air as he spoke it.  I love it!).  Thank you to all of the families who love and understand me and my needy children in Gilbert.”

Mama:  “I’m so happy today because my kids have a place to sleep now”

Pastor Nahum:  “All glory to God pitit mwen.”

Me:  “tanpri di tout ti moun sa Bondye renmen yo e Li pral toujou pwotege yo” (English= please tell all of the children that God loves them and will always protect them.)

Me:  “anko di yo rochelle manke yo e pral vini nan jiye pou wé yo” (English= also tell them, Rochelle misses them and is coming in July to see them.)

Pastor Nahum:  “I will tell all of your family how much God loves them.”

Pastor Nahum:  “I thank God for his goodness to me.  No one can take this blessing from me.  I thank God for this gift.”

With a smile no one could steal from me and happy tears flowing, I called to tell my husband this beautiful news.

Pastor Nahum has been trying so hard to send me more pictures to share with all of you but he’s having trouble with this.  He is continuing to try and as soon as he can get it to go through, I will post a picture of the finished home.  Well, nearly finished...still needs doors and windows but praise God the children now have a roof over their heads! 

Thank you all for your sacrificial prayers and giving.  May you overflow with God's Spirit of joy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment